[OPE-L:5375] Re: Re: Re: Re: turnover time and surplus value

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 18:32:38 EDT

Re Rakesh's [5374]:

> >b) In emphasizing a role for turnover time,
> >  Mandel -- it seems to me -- is following in the
> >   footsteps of one of his mentors, Henryk
> >  Grossmann.
> Why do you characterize the relationship that
> way. Mattick who was a
> student of Grossmann was quite critical of
> Mandel's multicausal  theory of crisis, as you
> know.

Yes, I know of Mattick's criticism of Mandel.
I also know that both Mandel and Mattick
were strongly influenced by, and considered
themselves to be in an intellectual tradition
that drew upon, the writings of both Grossmann
and Rosdolsky.  Emlar Altvater was another
individual who was  strongly influenced --
I believe -- by Grossmann.

> >  Note in this connection that
> >Webber/Rigby have claimed in their work,
> > Golden Age Illusion_ that changes in turnover
> >times "have offset any tendency of the rate of
> >profit to fall" (in the period that W/R study for
> >the four countries, Aus, Can, Jap, US).  Does
> >the empirical work that Allin and you did tend
> >to confirm or cast doubt on this perspective?
> I don't get where the data comes from. I would > appreciate any help.

The sources for the data are indicated in the
text. They include: "for Australia: *Manufacturing
Industry Details of Operations*, Canberra: ABS;
for Canada: *Manufacturing Industries of
Canada: National and Provincial Areas*, Ottawa,
Statistics Canada; for Japan: *Census of
Manufacturing and Labour Force Survey*,
Tokyo: Economic Planning Agency; for the
USA: *Census of Manufacturers* and *Annual
Survey of Manufacturers*, Washington, DC:
U.S. Department of Commerce." (Webber/Rigby,
pp. 312)

In solidarity, Jerry