[OPE-L:5379] Quiz: Which is the better ending for Marx's social theory?

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 08:43:50 EDT

QUIZ:
====

Hypothetical situation:

Your name is KARL MARX.

You are preparing an outline on your social theory,
which is to include a critique of political economy,
and which will "ultimately" lay bare the "economic
law of motion of modern society", for the publisher
of a printing house which has expressed a willingness to print your multi-volume work.

You are trying to select an ending.

Here are two possible endings.

A.  "My last chapter -- the climax and conclusion
of my tome -- will be approximately 2 pages long
and will ask (but not answer) the question 'What
makes a class?'. In particular, I will note (and
discuss in one short paragraph)  the 'infinite
fragments of interests and positions into which
the division of social labour splits not only workers
but also capitalists and land-owners -- the latter,
for instance, into vineyard-owners, field-owners,
mine-owners, fishery owners, etc.'"

B. "the conclusion, the world market, in which
production is posited as a totality and all its
movements also, but in which simultaneously
all contradictions are set in motion. Hence the
world market is likewize both the presupposition
of the totality and its bearer. Crises are then the
general pointer to beyond the presupposition,
and the urge to adopt a new historical form."

Which ending do you select? (see below for
third option)

* I selected ending "A" because  ______________

* I selected ending "B" because _______________

* I believe that the following option, which is
different from "A" or "B"  above, is the best
ending:

____________________________________

____________________________________

____________________________________