[OPE-L:5438] Re: Effect of turnover on the rate of profit

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 15:41:32 EDT

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 glevy@pratt.edu wrote:

> Re Allin's [5434] and the discussion on turnover:
> Thanks for this, Allin. I think it is helpful.

While thanks are being handed out, let me thank Rakesh for raising the
issue (if it was he): it's an interesting one and forces clarification
of some difficult points.

> A history of thought question: while there are references to
> turover time in the secondary literature, have there ever been
> any real *debates or extended discussions* on the topics that we
> have been discussing....

One quick observation: I'm struck by the fact that Marx's chapter on
this in Vol. II seems quite tentative.  The text sort of seems to
promise a "real clarification" of the issue, but never quite gets
there.  (I think the part where he makes most headway is where he
looks at the issue of turnover time from the standpoint of a communist
society, in terms of the level of resources tied up in long-term
projects.)

Allin.