[OPE-L:5451] Re: Re: turnover time and surplus value

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 07:12:12 EDT

Re my [5449]:

I think I might have botched the numbers in the
hypothetical example that I gave but the
fundamental point remains sound. Specifically,
one can see  that when there is a reduction in
turnover time due to decreased circulation time
that the mass of surplus value and profit
can increase even where the rate of surplus value
and the organic composition of capital remain
constant.

In the case of a reduction of  productive capital
in stock where there is a reduction in turnover
time caused by a reduction in production time,
the effect is two-fold. Firstly, this reduction in
fallow productive capital in stock (e.g. the stock
of  constant circulation capital not currently
"in use") "frees up"  a quantity of money capital for
additional investment in c and v.  This then allows
for an increase in the mass of surplus value and
profit. Secondly (and this is where Paul C and
Allin are right), this reduction in constant
circulating capital has the effect of reducing the
organic composition of capital and thereby
leading to an increase in the rate of profit.
Just-in-time (kanban; flexible) production could
be seen in this way.

In solidarity, Jerry