[OPE-L:5455] Re: Re: More Intense Labor

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 15:20:04 EDT

John quoted Gil in 5450 (I think this is Gil speaking):

>My comment was that increasing labor intensity would in any case reduce
>necessary labour, by reducing the labor time necessary to produce the wage
>bundle; and that changing the prevailing level of labor intensity might
>also change the levels of surplus labor or the wage bundle for the reasons
>mentioned; but there's no other apparent avenue by which changing labor
>intensity would affect the above ratio.

Gil, I think if we understand increased intensity as a defacto
extension of the working day, then it's clear that intensification
does not reduce necessary labor time (relative surplus value) but
increases surplus labor time over and above the constant necessary
labor time (absolute surplus value). In other words, I am asking
whether intensification is best understood in terms of an increase in
absolute surplus value (lengthening of the working day)rather than in
relative surplus value (reduction of necessary labor time). Again I
think Geoffrey Kay makes some provocative comments about this in his
Economic theory of the Working Class.

Rakesh