[OPE-L:5741] Re: Re: Blauf on neoclassicism

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 02:23:01 EDT

>In other words, today Blaug sees the neoclassical agenda as degenerate.

Yes Steve but as this passage makes clear Blaug has not buried
neoclassicism due to its logical or empirical problems with
reswitching (but he seems still willing to bury Marxism because of
trivial changes in the magnitude of surplus value with the complete
transformation). Blaug seems most interested in the conception of
competition as a process, instead of end result; this conception of
competition he traces back to Smith and finds in Hayek. He also seems
to find the dynamic consequences of such competition--in particular
technical change or as Smith called it the division of labor--to be
best understood by theorists such as Nathan Rosenberg and Chris
Freeman, if I remember this piece by Blaug correctly.But I am going
from memory since my books are  in boxes.
Rakesh