[OPE-L:5768] Re: Re: heterodox theories of value

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 01:37:34 EDT

Steve Keen wrote:

>  Not that I'd normally offer to speak for P(aul)D(avidson), but the
> essence of the P(ost)K(eynesian) tradition is that there is no theory
> of value. They promote what they call a 'horses for courses' approach
> that whatever methodology applies for a given question is OK. This
> position has been well critiqued (from a neoclassical perspective) by
> Roger Backhouse, asking that if any methodology is OK, why do they
> object so strongly to neoclassical methods?

_______________________

Steve, I think 'horses for courses' could also be interpreted as
accepting the Ricardian, and in my estimation Sraffian, position that
there is no such thing as a 'general theory'. In that case, it is
legitimate to pick up a theory of a particular problem and take it apart
on the ground of theoretical incoherence. But I feel that unless a
tradition in economic theory has a theory of value, it will be hard for
it to erect an impressive structure. Furthermore, I think that a theory
of value is essentially about a static problem. There cannot be a
dynamic theory of value (if we allow technical change through time)
simply because you cannot have an invariable measuring rod in this
context. So one needs to think about the nature of a dynamic theory.
Cheers, ajit sinha