[OPE-L:5817] RE: Teach yourself the Value-form

From: Michael Williams (michael@williamsmj.worldonline.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 07:50:08 EDT

dash through my database to find 'key' readings on the Value-form. The items
have been chosen on the grounds of pertinence and topicality. It is no doubt
too long for Steve's purposes, given time constraints. So I have posted it
on-list:

  a.. in case other members may be interested
  b.. in the hope that others may fill in any lacunae
  c.. in the hope that some of the authors cited may be better able to
prioritise their own and others work in order to generate a more manageable
list.
Arthur, C., J (1999). From the Critique of Hegel to the Critique of Capital.
The Hegel-Marx Connexion. T. Burns and I. Fraser. London, Macmillan.

Arthur, C. J. (1998). ^ÓSystematic Dialectic.^Ô Science & Society 62(3):
447-59.

Arthur, C. J. (1993). Hegel's Logic and Marx's Capital. Marx's Method in
'Capital': a re-examination. F. Moseley. Atlantic Highlands NJ, Humanities
Press: 63-87.

Arthur, C. J. (1979). Dialectic of the Value-Form. Value: The Representation
of Labour. D. Elson. Atlantic Highlands, Humanities Press: 67-81.

Backhaus, H.-G. (1969). ^ÓZur Dialektik der Wertform
(On the Dialectics of the Value-form).^Ô Thesis Eleven 1 (1980): 99-120.

Eldred, M. and M. Hanlon (1981). ^ÓReconstructing Value-Form Analysis.^Ô
Capital and Class 13(Spring): 24-60.

Elson, D. (1979). The Value Theory of Labour. Value: the representation of
labour in capitalism. D. Elson. London, CSE Books.

Marx, K. (1994 [1867]). The Value-Form. Debates in Value Theory. S. Mohun.
Basingstoke, Macmillan.

Murray, P. (1993). The Necessity of Money: How Hegel Helped Marx Surpass
Ricardo's Theory of Value. Marx's Method in Capital: A Re-examination. F.
Moseley. Atlantic Highlands NJ, Humanities: 37-62.

Reuten, G. (1993). The Difficult Labour of a Theory of Social Value:
Metaphors and Systematic Dialectics at the Beginning of Marx's Capital.
Marx's Method in Capital: A Re-examination. F. Moseley. New Jersey,
Humanities: 89-114.

Reuten, G. and M. Williams (1989). Value-form and the State: the tendencies
of accumulation and the determination of economic policy in capitalist
society. London/New York, Routledge.

Smith, T. (1990). The Logic of Marx's 'Capital': replies to Hegelian
criticisms. Albany NY, State University of New York Press.

Smith, T. (1998). "Value Theory and Dialectics." Science and Society 62(3).

Smith, T. (1999). "The Relevance of Systematic Dialectics to Marxist
Thought: A Reply to Rosenthal." Historical Materialism: research in critical
Marxist Theory 4(Summer): 215-240.

Williams, M. (2001). "Mysticism, Method and Money in the Marx-Hegel
Dialectic." Cambridge Journal of Economics 25.

Williams, M. (1999). "Why Marx neither has nor needs a Commodity Theory of
Money." Review of Political Economy 30.

Comradely greetings,

michael