[OPE-L:5823] Re: Re: Re: form and content re value-form and abstract labour

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 10:32:19 EDT

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post.  A few brief response below.

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> But abstract labour only becomes a (quasi) 'distinct entity' in
> capitalism, and then it is a mighty peculiar 'entity' at that.

I certainly agree with that.

> Following
> Murray, (congealed) abstract labour does not behove to a logic of
> 'being', a logic of *things* as we ordinarily know them, rather it
> behoves to a logic of essence. Essence is non-sensuous.

But Essence exists, doesn't it, even though non-sensuous?

> Hence,
> essence must necessarily appear as something other than itself. In
> fact it must appear as something directly opposite to itself. It must
> appear as a *sensuous* thing! So, money and congealed abstract
> labour are direct opposites. But it doesn't make alot of sense to
> say they are distinct entities, since the latter (congealed abstract
> labour) gains existence only through the former (money). Money is
> the 'realisation' or the 'actualisation' of congealed abstract labour.
> They are *immediately* opposite but *mediately* identical.

I would say abstract labor becomes observable through money, rather that
"gains existence" through money.

> This is partly the reason for my phrase, 'quasi-separate' existence
> of abstract labour, which I think more accurate than your own
> exposition.

"'Quasi-separate' existence" might be a better way of saying "exists, but
necessarily connected."

> But the important point upon which we are in full
> agreement, I hope, is that abstract labour time tethers price
> magnitude; the immediate opposition opens up this crucial
> distinction between the two magnitudes, the mediate identity
> confirms their connection.

This requires that specific quantities of abstract labor exist in some way
independently of prices, does it not?

> I do hope this makes at least a modicum of sense!

I think it makes a lot of sense.

Comradely,
Fred