[OPE-L:5831] Re: Re: form and content re value-form and abstract labour

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 07:25:56 EDT

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:

> > > But the important point upon which we are in full
> > > agreement, I hope, is that abstract labour time tethers price
> > > magnitude; the immediate opposition opens up this crucial
> > > distinction between the two magnitudes, the mediate identity
> > > confirms their connection.
> >
> > This requires that specific quantities of abstract labor exist in some way
> > independently of prices, does it not?
>
> I think that it is crucial to achieve a greater degree of precision than
> your sentence above. This is what I have tried to do.

Andy, "abstract labor thethers price magnitudes" means that abstract labor
determines average prices, according to the equation:

	Y = m L

Abstract labor cannot determine prices in this way unless abstract labor
exists independently of price.

Andrew, how do you interpret this equation, which I argue is the basis of
Marx's theory of value and surplus-value?

Thanks again.

Comradely,
Fred