[OPE-L:5993] RE: media and the state

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 14:12:36 EDT

I've been reading the papers of course, and listening to the radio; but I
don't own a TV.  So my impression of media coverage etc. may be a little
skewed.

I am struck by two things.  First, while I acknowledge and approve the
statements by politicians and talking-heads warning against anti-Arab &
anti-Islam backlash, I think these statements have by-and-large been
insufficiently forceful.  The attacks by Americans against their dark-skinned
neighbors are so repugnant to the democratic values Bush et al. claim to be
defending that they deserve coverage at least comparable to the treatment that
the most heinous hate-crimes get in more normal times -- page one,
above-the-fold; lead story on the nightly news, etc.  Indeed, in the present
circumstances such stories deserve even more prominent treatment.

Most of the focus is now on the nitty-gritty of the military response.  In my
fantasy world of wise leaders, Bush would have OPENED his Wednesday night
address with a powerful condemnation of these racist attacks: that would have
signaled a willingness to reach out to the world's Arab and Islamic people,
and an openness to rethinking past US policies, in a way that could not be
construed as "negotiating with terrorists."

The other thing that strikes me is the willingness of Congress and the media
to give Shrub a free ride on the response and on all the other policy issues
confronting the US people.  The airlines just got a tremendous bailout
package, with no conditions that I can see.  Will they be required to hire
back a substantial portion of the people they sacked?  When Chrysler was
bailed out in the 1980s the US government got a stake in Chrysler shares and
made a pretty good bundle on them.  Democrats are backing away from their
opposiiton to SDI for fear of seeming unpatriotic; everyone else is being
urged to get back to work as a way of showing collective solidarity; but
members of congress somehow are expected to collect a paycheck and keep their
mouths shut.  Me, I'd rather see them do their jobs, which in my reckoning
involes opposing lame legislation.

On the ideological front, maybe the most interesting development concerns the
shift in statements about the economy.  It looks like (i) hey, we CAN have
deficits without wrecking the economy's long-run prospects; and (ii) the best
way to get the economy back on track is to stimulate demand through increased
government spending.  My girlfriend, Marge, who does own a TV, tells me that
the other night some pundits on the Newshour said Keynesianism is back.

Hmmm.

Gary