[OPE-L:6028] Re: Re: RE: Re: Re: Re: the wages of war

From: Paul (clyder@gn.apc.org)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 15:47:16 EDT

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, you wrote:
> The difference is subtle but important:  to a terrorist, acts of terror are
> expressive, while to a guerrilla, if they are used, acts of terror are
> instrumental.  I'm guessing the actors behind the WTC bombings had no
> thought that they would thereby change US policy in the Mideast or
> elsewhere.  As Osama bin Laden has said in another context, his goal is to
> kill Americans and other unbelievers and Satanic representatives.

You should not assume that sombody who is demonised by the media
has no rational goals.

He has a perfectly rational goal - the withdrawal of US forces from the
middle east. The use of massive force against military and economic
targets in the USA was a perfectly rational military strategy, in no way
different except in scale, audacity and skill from the actions of the
IRA in targeting similar targets in England. In both cases the aim is
classical Clauswitz, politics by other means. Over a period of years
it can be anticipated that US public opinion will come to favour
withdrawal from the middle east. The IRA have had at least partial
sucess by such a strategy.

--
Paul Cockshott
paul@cockshott.com