[OPE-L:6047] Re: Palestinian staged footage?

From: nicola taylor (n.taylor@student.murdoch.edu.au)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 00:00:49 EDT

Paul,
I couldn't watch the video on my computer so I checked out the stills -
note that these are accredited - lower right hand corner - to Associated
Press (surprise surprise).  Anyway, Rakesh deserves all the kudos for: (a)
following up on the original question and (b) providing an excellent
illustration of the way that selective images are used to support breaking
news stories (btw, I agree with you that a cynical manipulation of 'truth'
is worse than using old footage; this is exactly the point that Rakesh and
I were trying to make).

comradely Nicky

-----------------------------------

At 10:43  8/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Nicola and Allin,
>
>I have returned and notice the message below from Rakesh.  Shortly after
>its date I could not get any more messages as my email became full from
>another's person's recyclyed virsus. Therefore I don't know if either of
>you responded to Rakesh's forwarded message which actually is perhaps even
>worse than using old footage (which had been the center of this
>controvery).  As I see it, the issue Chai-on first raised is reintroduced.
>
>Thanks, Paul Z.

>Paul Zarembka, editor, RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
>********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Nicola Mostyn (Taylor)
Faculty of Economics
Murdoch University
South Street