[OPE-L:6069] Re: staged, not recycled, footage?

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 19:17:20 EDT

They don't seem to want to read *Der Spiegel* or *Panorama* at *The
Guardian*.  But they've got it right how important those images of
Palestinians were.

"How much can we believe in the news campaign?
Jay Rayner tells how the war of words opens another"

Sunday October 14, 2001
The Observer

"The real problem for Western politicians trying to hold together a fragile
international coalition is that the media have great power to magnify.
Footage of Palestinians on the West Bank celebrating the 11 September
attacks was hugely damaging to a Palestinian Authority desperate not to
enrage the US, even though the crowd numbered no more than 15 to 20.

"Those numbers were irrelevant. The images still went about the world. (It
led to claims that the footage was a fake, recycled from the Allied
invasion of Kuwait; the claim has been investigated by the BBC and firmly
rebutted.)"

--from http://www.guardian.co.uk/waronterror/story/0,1361,573769,00.html

Paul

Paul Zarembka, editor,  RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka

--- FORWARDED MESSAGE BEGINS ---

Rakesh Bhandari <rakeshb@stanford.edu>
wrote ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu,
         cc (if any):,
         dated 09/26/01, at 11:00 AM,
Subject: [OPE-L:6020] staged, not recycled, footage?

sent to me by a palestinian friend of mine. RB

End of message forwarded by Paul Zarembka <zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu>