[OPE-L:6093] Re: falling profits

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 13:29:04 EDT

I agree with Paul that "crisis" isn't the appropriate world to use for the
US economy. 1974 - 1992 might accurately be described as a crisis. But,
this year's slump is probably no more than the common garden variety
recession - a 9 month dip then return to growth. During the 1970s and 1980s
the US economy was thoroughly restructured and the least internationally
competitive firms were brutally weeded out.

For the last 10 years Japan seems to be going through what the US went
through during 1974 - 1992. Now, if the US does go into a severe slump or a
slump deep enough to sharply reduce exports from Japan then the
international situation could become quite precarious. But, with military
Keynesianism now in vogue in Washington the latter scenario is not likely
to occur.

Business and household debt may be high (I'm uncertain), but public sector
debt is not very high at all. So, unlike Japan which has zero real interest
rates and massive public sector debt, the US can pull out of a recession by
continuing to lower interest rates and ratcheting up government purchases
of goods and services. Lower interest rates will help households refinance
mortgages and thereby lower the strain on household debt repayment.

peace, patrick l mason