[OPE-L:6117] Re: Re: possible ways out of the 'crisis'?

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 10:52:09 EST

Jerry:

Until 9-11 lower interest rates helped sustain a strong housing market.
And, as you note, even for those households that do not purchase homes,
lower interest rate will help lower monthly debt. Many individuals have a
large amount of debt with variable interest rates. Households that are net
borrowers receive an immediate improvement in their debt standing with
lower interest rates because a) if monthly payments remain constant more of
the payment is going to debt reduction and not interest, or b) lower
interest rates may mean lower monthly payments. Reducing interest rates on
automobiles from 7 - 11 percent to the currently fashionable 0 percent will
certainly keep the automobile sector from slumping as much as it might have.

Few working class households receive much by way of interest income. In any
case, today's interest income is largely the result of past bond
investments when rates were higher. So, with declining interests those
households who purchased bonds in the past - say anytime greater than 18
months ago, are able to realize substantial capital gains.

Low interest rates are unequivocal benefit to the overwhelming majority of
households. In part, the Fed initially raised interest rates to squeeze out
stock market speculation, to bring price-earnings ratios back in line with
historical averages. So, I don't think Greenspan et al. are particularly
distressed about the current level of stock indices even if they are
carefully watching the direction of movement.

If lowering interest rates is futile, do you prefer rising interest rates?
Constant nominal rates with declining inflation - in which case we get
higher real interest rates?

Nobody has a fail-safe plan for increasing aggregate demand. Greenspan's
stated objective has been (I paraphrase) "the maximum level of growth
consistent with price stability." In the past, the Fed seemed to have
interpreted "price stability" to equal zero inflation. Today, the Fed seems
to interpret "price stability" to equal a constant (predictable) but low
level of inflation, say 2.5 - 3.5 percent. My guess: as long as AD is weak
and there is no sign of inflation being a problem the Fed will cut interest
rates.

Nobody seriously believes the madness of supply economics rhetoric.
Greenspan is a conservative but he's not an idiot. In the long run, we are
all "supply-siders," that is to say, the big issues in the long run are
greater capacity, greater productivity, technological change, and altering
the distribution of income. In the short run, capacity utilization is the
issue that matters. Most of the Fed members are sufficiently pragmatic to
know that they must lower interest rates to increase capacity utilization.
There's no guarantee that lower rates will work but there is no empirical
or theoretical reason to believe that lower rates will cause damage to the
economy.

But, monetary policy alone is not sufficient. Keeping a severe recession
away may require an enormous deficit. Reagan ran huge deficits in his
version Keynesianism. To a certain degree, they worked. Family poverty
rates, especially among African Americans, fell dramatically from 1983
onward though they rose from 1971 to 1983. Measured from 1982, family
income also increased dramatically though there was a reduction in 1991-92.
Ironically, home ownership rates stagnated for whites and strongly declined
among African Americans. Why? Extremely high real interest rates and
crushing household debt burden.

peace, patrick l mason