[OPE-L:6154] Re: Re: junk debt?

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 17:40:12 EST

The spread is increasing quite substantially now too. The effect is the
inverse of the sale price of corporate bonds regarded as "junk": if the
price that a bond can be sold at falls, then the effective yield on that
bond rises.

This doesn't affect those companies that have already issued bonds--they
received whatever they sold them for when they were issued. However, any
firm that needs to raise new finance and can't do it by equity or bank
routes has to offer new bonds at that level--and that is becoming so
prohibitive that these firms are likely to go bankrupt rather than seek new
financing, if their cash flow situation was the reason they were
considering getting new finance.

BY the way, I'm sorry that I haven't had the time to take part in this
discussion--far too many pressing jobs back in Sydney, plus some major
personal changes have got in the way. But I have been delighted to see the
postings on this front--I take back a lot of what I said some time ago
about the list not focussing on the actual economic issues of the day.

All the best tout le monde,
Steve