[OPE-L:6161] Re: oil rent

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 10:02:44 EST

Rakesh:

I follow the application of the theory of differential rent to the
international price of oil.

There are however three caveats. First, I think the theory has to be
applied to "oil sites" (possibly, firms) and not to regions. For example,
when the price of oil tumbled severely in the late 1980s after the Saudis
flooded the international market with oil (because they were angry at
cartel members who would not uphold cartel agreements) many wells in the US
were permanently closed. Many however remained opened. Large firms, like
Exxon, will have many high and low cost sites. So, the appropriate unit of
analysis is the marginal oil field - not the nation, region, or even firm.
Marx applied his theory of differential rent to the marginal acre of land,
where the aggregate level of consumption determined the total amount of
required agricultural product.

Second, the OPEC members have different time horizons - even as many may
have similar low costs of extraction. The Saudis have a great deal of oil
and do not wish to have a regime of high prices, as this would cause a
speed up in the use of oil substitutes and thus diminish the value of their
overall stock. Other OPEC members have much less oil and thus would like a
regime of very high prices, since substitution away from oil is not a
viable solution in the short and they will not have any oil in the long run.

Three, the issue of political stability. Those countries with highly
unstable elites might wish to have very high prices for two reasons. One,
it generates the high profits necessary to buy off internal opposition.
Two, they'd looked down the road and discovered that they, i.e., the oil
barons, will not be in power much longer; hence, they wish to sell all the
oil they can now and profits in US treasury bonds.

On a related issue, I am confused at how you related this to the Bin
Laden's Pan-Islamic agenda. (My words here, not yours). Paraphrasing, you
said that US oil companies were getting the best of the Saudis. I gather
that other than religious issues, radical nationalists in Saudi are also
upset with US control. Please expand on this for me.

peace, patrick l mason