[OPE-L:6194] Re: Re: Marxist econometrics?

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 16:23:24 EST

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Gerald_A_Levy wrote:

> While not on the subject of 'Marxist econometrics', some listmembers
> may find the links at the following site, called 'THE IMPOVERISHED
> SOCIAL SCIENTIST'S  GUIDE TO FREE STATISTICAL
> SOFTWARE AND RESOURCES', useful:
>
>  http://data.fas.harvard.edu/micah_altman/socsci.shtml

Yes, this is interesting.  Thanks.

> "Doing econometrics is like trying to learn the laws of electricity
> by playing the radio".
>
> The author is identified just as 'Orcutt'.

That would be Guy Orcutt, pioneer of estimators designed to improve on
Ordinary Least Squares in the presence of serially correlated errors.

> It's certainly a catchy saying, isn't it?  But, is it a valid
> observation? What do you think?

I'm not sure exactly what he had in mind, but I think I see the
general idea.  You're trying to discover "laws" but the data you're
working with are not experimental: they are "high level" phenomena
produced by a complex set of mechanisms, rather than the trace of one
particular mechanism of interest, isolated via careful experimental
design.

Allin Cottrell.