[OPE-L:6209] Re: Re: econometrics

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 17:09:50 EST

Jerry:

Thanks to your history of thought posting I don't see the point of
disagreement.

Consider the snipet below.

> > Consider the simple regression coefficient b = cov(x,y)/var(x). Why is
> > this  confined to neoclassical economics?
>
>Continue.
>So far you don't have a specification of an econometric model. As one
>continues on with the specification of a model and the parameters and
>assumptions of the model, then marginalist concepts including factors
>of production and production functions (and usually linearity) are
>smuggled in.

The coefficient is the econometrics. Everything after that and before that
is theory.

Y = f(X)                 is a (general) theoretical proposition

Y = BX                  is a specific linearization of the theory. No
'metrics yet.

Note: linearity is not a marginalist concept. It is a convenient concept.
Sometimes appropriate, sometimes not. In any case, there are non-linear
techniques.

Further, it is economic theory that tells us where B = 0, B < 0, B > 0, B <
1, B > 1, etc.

Since X and Y are theoretical concepts we will never observe either as a
precisely measured variable in the actually existing economy. For example,
we may have a theory drawing on prices of production - which are never
observed anywhere. All we ever have are market prices. Even then, they
aren't measured precisely. So, what we get is

y = bx + e,

where y, x are the imprecise empirical measures of Y, X, respectively, and
e is an error.

It is theory, not econometrics that imposes structure on the error term.
The econometrics simple tells us how to obtain b, given the theoretical
assumptions regarding the error term and all of the assumptions we are
willing to accept regarding the relationship between x and X and y and Y.

For me, econometrics = statistics. So, when I calculate simple descriptive
statistics I'm doing low brow econometrics.

Let me accept your argument that marginalists created regression analysis,
i.e., "econometrics." That does not imply that the procedure cannot be
divorced from the theory.

See, for example, Semmler, W., Competition, Monopoly and Differential
Profit Rates, (New York: Columbia University Press) 1984.

As for my working paper, I've attached a copy. Among others, Marxists have
spent a great deal of time discussing the social construction of race (and
gender). Effectively, this means that racial identity is an endogenous
economic outcome.

So, taken by itself, y = bx + d*race + e, where "race" is a dichotomous
variable, is not a particularly enlightening (no pun intended) equation.

I use evolutionary evolutionary game theory to model racial identification
among Hispanic Americans. The model has multiple equilibria.

I then use standard regression analysis to determine which equilibrium is
likely to exist in the US for Mexican Americans, Cuban Americans, and
Puerto Ricans. This is a preliminary paper, but the results thus far are (I
think) quite interesting.

peace, patrick