[OPE-L:6233] 'Marx and the Hegelian Dialectic': SPSM at the December APA

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 07:44:35 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Amato <peterama@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:29:13 -0500

Hi everyone.

Anne Pomeroy and I would like to announce the details of the Society for the Philosophical Study of Marxism's upcoming panel discussion at the American Philosophical Association Eastern division meetings planned for Atlanta in December. We are pleased and honored to announce an outstanding lineup of speakers for the session, which is entitled "Marx and the Hegelian Dialectic: The Utopian & Economic
Adventures of an Idea". If you are planning to attend
the APA meetings, we hope to see you there, and encourage you to invite others who might be interested in joining us for what promises to be a lively, informative, and insightful discussion.

Chair: Jeanne Schuler, Creighton University, Nebraska

Speakers: 1. Tom Jeannot, Seattle University,
Washington "Hegelian Marxism and the Utopian Imagination"

2. Andrew Kliman,
Pace University, New York & Ted McGlone, St. Joseph's College, New York "'Value in Process': On The Temporality and Internal Consistency of Marx's Capital"

3. Patrick Murray, Creighton University, Nebraska "Things Fall
Apart: Systematic and Historical Dialectics and the Critique of Political Economy"

The session will be held Saturday afternoon, December 29 from
2:45-5:45 in the Fayette room of the Hilton Atlanta, 255 Courtland Street, N.E. Atlanta, GA, phone: 404-659-2000. To register at the advance-meeting rate, ($5.00 students, $15.00 members of the APA, $20.00 non-members), send name, academic or professional affiliation, city, state, phone # and email address with payment to: Linda Smallbrook, APA, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716 before December 10. On-site registration rates are $7.00 for
students, $25.00 for members of the APA, and $30.00 for non-members.
(Sheesh.) On-site registration will be held at the Hilton each day on the Second Floor beginning Thursday afternoon, December 27 at 3:00 until 10:00 and beginning again at 9:00 am Friday until 7:00pm. On Saturday, registration will be held from 9:00 am to 5:00pm. Rooms are available at the APA group rate through December 8: single $98, double $109. Check-in time is 3:00 and check-out noon. Call the Hilton Atlanta, 255 Courtland Street, N.E. Atlanta, GA, phone: 404-659-2000. If you have any questions about the session, the APA
conference, or anything else, I'll try my best to answer them for you. Just email me at peterama@rcn.com. Hope to see everyone at the conference! And best wishes for the holiday season, Pete Amato and Anne Pomeroy