[OPE-L:6245] Edward Elgar 2002

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 16:26:54 EST

The catalog for new titles for Edward Elgar Publishing Inc [EE]
is out.

There are *lots* of volumes listmembers will be interested in, some
of which include (in order of their appearance in the catalog):

*  CAPITALISM IN EVOLUTION
    Global Contentions -- East and West

    Edited by Geoffrey M Hodgson, [OPE-L listmember] Makoto
    Itoh, and Nobuharu Yokokawa

    Contributors: S. Bowles, R.A. Boyer, H.M. Gintis, G.M. Hodgson,
    M. Itoh, M. Noguchi, U. Pagano, R.E. Rowthorn, Y. Shiozawa,
    K. Nagi, N. Yokokawa

    July, 2001  224 Pages  HB  1  85898 860  8     $75.00

*  A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF DISSENTING ECONOMISTS,
   SECOND EDITION
   Edited by Philip Arestis and Malcolm Sawyer

   Surprisingly, among the 40 contributors to this volume, only 1
   (Gary) is a listmember!  But, of course,  some (many?)
   listmembers may be profiled in the book.

   March 2001   736 pp.  HB  1 85898  560  9   $225.00

  (I guess that means that you have to be a *highly paid* dissenting
  economist to afford your own copy!)

*  THE NEW VALUE CONTROVERSY AND THE FOUNDATIONS
   OF ECONOMICS
   Edited by Alan F, Andrew K, and Julian (familiar names all!)

   15 of the 22 contributors are current or former listmembers!

   May  2002  28 pp.  HB   1  84064  560  1    $90.00

*  THE EURO
    EVOLUTION AND PROSPECTS
    Edited by Philip Arestis, [OPE-L listmember] Andrew B, and
    Malcolm Sawyer

   December 2001 [now!]  160 pp  HB  1  84064  583  0  $65.00

*  FINANCIAL KEYNESIANISM AND MARKET INSTABILITY
   THE ECONOMIC LEGACY OF HYMAN MINSKY, VOLUME 1
   Edited by [our own] Riccardo B and Piero Ferri

   Among the 14 contributors, are OPE-L members Duncan,
   Steve K and Riccardo

   March 2001  240 pp HB  1  84064  358  7   $85.00

*  FINANCIAL FRAGILITY AND INVESTMENT IN THE
   CAPITALIST ECONOMY
   THE ECONOMIC LEGACY OF HYMAN MINSKY, VOLUME 2
   Edited by Riccardo and Pierro Ferri

   March 2001  224 pp  HB  1 84064  359  5  $85,00

   NOTE1:  DO NOT COUNT ON THE DATES INDICATED FOR
   PUBLISHING!  PUBLISHERS, ESPECIALLY ACADEMIC
   PUBLISHERS, ARE NOTORIOUS FOR NOT RELEASING
   BOOKS ON TIME!

   NOTE2: YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET A COPY OF THIS
   CATALOG AS THERE ARE MANY OTHER TITLES OF
    INTEREST, e.g.

    * THE LEGACY OF PIERRO SRAFFA
       Edited by Heinz Kurz and Neri Salvadori
       Of the 9 contributors, none are listmembers -- but
       they found space for a contribution by Samuelson.

      Two volume set   July 2002  1,376 pp  HB
       1 84064  439  7  $430.00 [!]

   NOTE3: Who can afford some of these titles? I suspect
   that, for example, there are some supporters of 'Analytical
   Marxism' who can't afford their own copy of the 1994  2-
   volume set edited by J.E. Roemer FOUNDATIONS OF
   ANALYTICAL MARXISM. Selling price is $340.00.
   At that price, many (most?) scholars AND LIBRARIES
  in most parts of the world can't afford a copy. Yet, if
  we can't get copies of important scholarly books and
  journals EVEN AT LIBRARIES then how can we keep
  up with the literature in our field? It seems to me that this
  (re) creates a two-tier system of HAVES and HAVE
  NOTS in the academic and scholarly world community.

For more info on upcoming EE books, check-out their
Web site:

http://www.e-elgar.com

To request review copies, apply with full journal details to:

tgorvine@e-elgar.com

Are there any up-coming books to be published by other
publishers that we should be aware of?

In solidarity, Jerry