[OPE-L:6269] Re: Re: Citation from Vol. 3 help requested

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 22:08:25 EST

Thanks, Jerry, and there is a problem:

In the Progress: we have "On the other hand, a fall in the rate of profit
again hastens the concentration of capital and its centralisation through
expropriation of minor capitalists, the few direct producers who still have
anything left to be expropriated", p.241)

In the Vintage, we have "On the other hand the fall in the rate of profit
again accelerates the concentration of capital, and its centralization, by
dispossessing the *smaller capitalists* and expropriating the final residue
of direct producers who still have something to expropriate." (p. 349, your
typing)

These are seemingly NOT the same (relying on exact rendition's above).  The
former has no "and" between 'capitalists' and 'direct producers', as if the
minor capitalists are also direct producing (which is quite possible),
while the latter seems to make the distinction.

The German from Berlin 1961 has no "und" (p. 269), like the Progress
English.

Jerry or anyone, any other leads or solutions?  Are we dealing with a typo
in one or the other or what?

Perelman's *The Invention of Capitalism*, p. 31, bottom, considers the
passage important (he cites p. 348, not 349, 1981 Vintage) for indicating
the on-going character of 'primitive accumulation' (I don't agree, but is
another matter, after we get past to the correct text).

Paul

P.S.  Gently falling snow is better and prettier than a hurricane, right,
Alejandro?

Paul Zarembka, editor, RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
********************* http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka