[OPE-L:6286] Re: grossman (response to paul z)

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 01:29:54 EST

Paul Z wrote:

>Grossman pulls a similar operation against Sismondi.  In 1924 he is quite
>appreciative of Sismondi (a French original article appearing in Warsaw),
>while in 1934 his tune is completely different regarding Sismondi (he must
>have read Lenin's views on Sismondi in the meantime since now his remarks
>are indisquishable from Lenin's).

Paul, you have obviously not read grossman's 1934 entry on Sismondi
for the Encylopaedia of the Social Sciences in a long time! A more
appreciative note to a man whom he credits as the founder of theories
of capitalist dynamics I cannot imagine. Yes he takes issue with his
underconsumptionism (while noting that Malthus and Robertus and later
many Marxists took from him), but praises him for his devastating
attacks on the abstractions of classical economics; moreover, he
finds much with which to agree in sismondi's understanding of
disproportionality crises, which are inherent not as a result of
failure to anticipate demand correctly in the respective branches but
as a result of the unevenness of technical change.

Paul Z, to imply that Grossmann refused to write in praise of
sismondi as a result of lenin's negative views is simply wrong.

And the praise of Sismondi reaches new heights in his 1943 piece for
the Journal of Political economy. Now Sismondi is a theoretical
historian of the first rank!

You also wrote:

>The article is a 1941 manuscript (*Capital and Class* doesn't tell you
>where it comes from), first published in 1969 in German original.
>
>The very first sentence is the type I find annoying in Grossman:
>
>"The dominant view of Marx is to regard him as a student of and successor
>to the Classical economists; as an economist who 'completed' that work".
>
>He then footnotes a pretty long list of culprits of whom LENIN IS NOT
>LISTED.  Yet Lenin's (1913) "three sources" of Marxism article has the
>passage
>
>"Adam Smith and David Ricardo, by their investigations of the economic
>system, laid the foundations of the labor theory of value.  Marx continued
>their work; he provided a proof of the theory and developed it
>consistently.  He showed that the value of every commodity is determined by
>the quantity of socially necessary labor time spent on its production."

that grossman held his tongue for reasons of party discipline is
indeed possible and likely.  but grossmann was by nature (it seems) a
choleric guy, and he does not spare lenin rapier like criticism in
law of accumulation and the breakdown (catastrophe) of the capitalist
system (1929). Grossmann was not impressed with Lenin's work as a
piece of theoretical reasoning, and he did not try to hide this from
anyone. And I think this says more about Grossman's scientific
integrity than whether he included Lenin's name in an obscure
footnote.

  However,  it seems obvious that Grossmann argued that Lenin was
closer to Marx's theory than Luxemburg and Sternberg were with their
underconsumptionism. Even as profound a critic of Lenin as Mattick Sr
grants that Lenin did more to preserve the revolutionary core of
Marx's critique of political economy than other 2nd Intl thinkers.
Paul Z, I know we disagree about this harsh treatment of Luxemburg,
but I don't think it was motivated by politics as much as by Rosa L's
incomprehension according to Grossmann of the nature and implications
of Marx's theory, esp. the reproduction schemes.

At any rate,   I find little positive reference to Lenin in
Grossman's writings but as Rick Kuhn has demonstrated grossman's
theoretical work was shaped by the organizational work that he did
with the working class. So it is possible that for party reasons
Grossmann did not always name Lenin when attacking positions that
Lenin, along with others, held. It would be interesting to get Rick
Kuhn's views on this. especially his comparative analysis of their
respective ideas of the party.

moreover, we would need to make a careful study of lenin's work to
determine whether he did not understand the differences between the
marxian and classical labor theory of value.

there is the controversial criticism by mattick sr, korsch and
pannekoek that lenin criticized machian idealism from the perspective
of bourgeois materialism, not historical materialism. Did Lenin
criticize the subjective turn in bourgeois economics from the
perspective of the classical labor theory, not the Marxian theory? I
don't know. It would seem the more interesting question is whether
Bukharin on whom I would imagine Lenin was dependent here grasped the
differences between the classical theory of labor value and the
marxian labor theory of value. And I would say that there are some
very important places where bukharin lays out the differences in the
two labor theories of value. Which is not to say that there are not
devastating criticisms to be made of bukharin's methodology for the
study of bourgeois ideology (geoffrey kay has written one such
criticism, if i remember).

moreover, lenin did refer (i have read in secondary sources)  in his
hegel notebooks  to the contradictions of the commodity which
contained within itself the contradictions of the system as a whole.
i don't believe that this could have been known to grossmann,
however. But it suggests that Lenin's understanding of the commodity
may have been at a higher level than Ricardo.

>In my opinion, Grossman is a tricky fellow and many times one has to pay as
>much attention to the silences as to the opinions (e.g., anti-Luxemburgism)
>to get a fuller understanding of what he is up to.

And do not forget that Grossmann praises Luxemburg for defending the
revolutionary core of marxism against revisionists. In a sense, his
greatest praise in his magnum opus is for her.

Rakesh