[OPE-L:6293] Re: Re: Re: grossman (response to paul z)

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 12:10:23 EST

Paul Z,

1. grossmann did not stop praising sismondi because he came to know
of lenin's criticism of him, and grossmann did not come to criticize
sismondi's crisis theory out of fealty to lenin whose
disproportionality theory plays no role in grossmann's magnum opus.
grossmann was critical not only of underconsumptionism but also the
obsession with interdeptmental equilibrium from the perspective of
his falling rate/mass of profit theory.

2. grossmann thus could not have moved to sismondi's or luxemburg's
crisis theories because he did not agree with them.

3. should have grossmann been more explicitly critical of lenin's
disproportionality theory? Perhaps. But there is no proof that he
developed his crisis theory so that it would be in accord with what
Lenin wrote. Anyways, Lenin did not write something like Finance
Capital or Accumulation of Capital; what was Grossmann supposed to
criticize? In my opinion, he gives Imperialism all the theoretical
attention that it deserves. He does not fawn over passages from it.
He treats it dismissively in fact. Yes,  he agrees with the
revolutionary implications that Lenin derives from his study of
imperialism but finds that there is no solid theoretical basis so he
develops it. In order to put revolutionary political conclusions on a
sound theoretical basis, he has to go after Tugan, Bauer, Hilferding,
Luxembug, Bukharin, etc., for they had written on the *theory* of
accumulation and crisis, not Lenin.  Lenin had written a popular
outline, and Lenin himself relied on Bukharin and Bauer of whom HG
spares NO criticism.

4. I do think a Lenin like theory of disproportionality is solidly
grounded in TSV (disproportionality as a result of uneven technical
change, not failures to anticipate demand a la classical partial glut
theory) , not a theory of underconsumption.

5. Even if Luxemburg was not an underconsumptionist, her attention
was on the realization of surplus value and interdeptal equilibrium
(or the impossibility thereof). Grossmann wants to abstract a
different aspect of the capitalist totality--the production of
surplus value itself.

6. I never said or implied that Lenin is our man.  As I have said, I
accept luxemburg's and the council communist critique of his
political theory.

7. Again it is possible to have a sword out for Luxemburg's theory of
accumulation (mattick wields grossmann's sword) and embrace her
political theory (as mattick does).

Rakesh