[OPE-L:6307] Re: grossman (response to paul z) [or, the "silences" of Grossman and Lenin]

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 23:45:05 EST

Rakesh Bhandari <rakeshb@stanford.edu> said, on 01/13/02:

>Paul, I think you are mistaking Mattick's reporting of Bukharin's
>critique for Mattick's own critique of Luxemburg.

The first quote offered in [OPE-L:6302] was Mattick himself in 1978.  There
are no citations at all to any of Bukharin in the entire article
(www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/2379/rosa.htm).  Therefore, I take it
as Mattick offering it as his own and most mature criticsm of Luxemburg
(whether obtained from anyone else or not).

The second quote was Mattick in 1974 in which Mattick CITES Bukharin.  In
this one, Mattick  indicates AGREEMENT with Bukharin by buttressing his
case against R. L. with citations from Bukharin, but without querying if
Bukharin is reading Luxemburg correctly.  As I have said, Bukharin is not
reading Luxemburg correctly (and it is not an innocent misreading).

Furthermore, the 1978 and 1974 Mattick texts are similar enough in
substance.

Given that I criticize Bukharin, I perforce have to criticism Mattick for
accepting Bukharin's reading.  I am not attempting to say more, nor less.
In my published article, the text reads, "Mattick is reformulating and
repeating Bukharin -- without critical attention."

If we want to go further on this, I'd think we'd need to go line-by-line,
thru 1935, 1974, and 1978 articles of Mattick, by long phone call or better
in person, should our paths cross.  I'd be happy to do that.

Paul Z.