[OPE-L:6382] RE: Production techniques

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 17:25:31 EST

Alejandro writes [#6375]:

>Re Rakesh 6372, citing Gil 6362:

> ... <snip>

>Gil wrote:
>Reading this passage by Gil, it seems to me that he reads
>"Capital" as it
>were a Microeconomic textbook. What wonders me is that he goes
>on to it as
>it were a completely natural and uncontroversial procedure...
>Perhaps it
>would be worth to ask: Is "Capital" a Microeconomic textbook?
>Is there any
>difference between the method and purpose of Marx's book and, say,
>Varian's? Was Marx simply a primitive version of Lancaster?

Personally, I don't have any difficulty with the idea that [a subset of] the
content of "Capital" is [a critique of] the subject-matter of
micro-economics.

Aren't the issues

(1) whether X's reading of Marx does in fact accord with Marx's critique

(2) whether either or both of Marx's and X's critiques say anything
illuminating?

Julian