[OPE-L:6419] More on the significance of labor power commodification

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 13:04:50 EST

Paul C writes in 6411:

>I think you are quite right here.

He might be right, but these comments (to the extent they accurately
reflect Marx's account) in no way affect the sense of my critique, which is
of the clearly logical argument Marx does in fact make in arriving at the
commodification of labor power as the basis for exploitation of labor under
the capitalist mode of production.  Re the second passage above, *of
course* it's true "Marx never says that the exploitation of free wage labor
is in fact carried out in accordance with PVE."  I've never suggested
otherwise.

Re the first passage, I never assert Marx's overall method is
"logico-historical," whatever that means.  But he does indisputably make
logical claims, whatever his overall method is, and these claims can
therefore be subjected to standard logical tests of validity. I'm surprised
that any Marxist would suggest otherwise.  Is it really being suggested
that we should disregard Marx's claims of drawing valid inferences from his
own premises?  That these assertedly valid inferences should instead be
treated as opinions, prophecies, or empirical generalizations?  Striking.

And on the specific point, I've never suggested that Marx is "attempting to
explain why one form of surplus value production came to dominate
historically over other forms," so that point is irrelevant to my critique.
However, it is manifestly *false* that Marx simply  "assumes the free wage
labor form," as even a cursory rereading of the beginning of Chapter 6 will
confirm.

Finally, if it were true that Marx simply "assumes the free wage labor
form,"  rather than justifying it analytically, then the answer to my
original question is clear:  on analytical grounds at least, the
commodification of labor power is *incidental* to the process of
exploitation under the capitalist mode of production, since there is by
this representation no theoretical reason for believing otherwise.  But
Rakesh's answer to my question indicates a quite different opinion.

Gil