[OPE-L:6442] Re: The significance of labor power commodification

From: Paul Cockshott (paul@cockshott.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 09:16:58 EST

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, you wrote:
> Re Gil's 6416 and Paul C.'s 6416:
>

> Paul, I do agree with you here but I think the problem is not "the scale of
> the means of production" in itself but the *money-value* which is necessary
> to purchase them. Imagine we are in Wonderland and the whole US auto
> industry is offered to the Auto Workers Unions for $100. The huge material
> scale of the means of production involved wouldn't be a problem for ending
> the "real subsumption" you mention.

By scale here I mean that a large number of workers must be working
together to operate the means of production. It is true that workers
co-operatives can in potential do this, but the problem is organising
an initially poverty striken class into cooperatives to do this.
The social organising power, the power of command invested in
money, is what enables the capitalist firm to coordinate the labour
of tens of thousands accross continents.

--
Paul Cockshott, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
0141 330 3125  mobile:07946 476966