[OPE-L:6484] Re: Re: Marx and the bible

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 15:14:17 EST

Patrick wrote in 6467

>Marx's statement then is that accumulation is the god of capitalism.
>The capitalist seeks to build up (accumulate) his capital and he can
>only do this through an exploitative relationship with other persons
>and by having no relationship at all to a morally and ethnically
>righteous God.

I for one do not deny that God may well be a black man or woman if
this is what you mean by an ethnically righteous God!

But I must say that I have trouble believing that if Marx's ethos had
been infused with Christian humility he would have ever fired that
most dangerous missle at the heads of the bourgeoisie.

>In more politically loaded language, "Accumulate, Accumulate" is the
>logic of the "anti-Christ."

I would think Marx thought that the proletariat was the anti christ
in its struggles to do away with all gods, heavenly and earthly.

Rakesh