[OPE-L:6504] Re: Re: totality

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2002 - 14:51:36 EST

re Jerry's 6503

>Remember Marx's comments about the 'eventual continuation' (separate
>book) on 'Competition'?  From a methodological perspective, I think
>Marx wanted to present capital as simple unity before going on to
>present capital as difference and then unity-in-difference.  The
>question of the segmentation and fragmentation of the capitalist
>class
>and the other two major social classes arises after 'the question to
>be answered next' which is 'What makes a class?'.

Jerry, I agree that Marx leaves undertheorized the realm of
competition especially as it operates in and through the world market.

But in another sense I think Marx has in fact complete his project of
demonstrating the limits of the totality (I can't shug Grossman off
my shoulder, you know).

For Marx, only once one has discoverd the average rate of profit for
capital-as-a-whole can one discover the limits to the profit that any
one capitalist can make. No matter whether an individual capitalist
beats off the fall in the average rate of profit at the expense of
other capitals, the fall in the average rate for the capitalist class
can plunge the system into the crisis. As GA Cohen may put it: that
only a few can fit through the escape door (micro) before it shuts
can only be clarified by understanding the situation of the
capitalist class itself (macro). Despite the strictures of
methodological individualism, it seems to me quite precisely accurate
to speak of the fate of the supra-individual entity of capital, which
again is itself a concrete individual unlike say a generalized
concreted abstraction such as boats-as-a-whole (row boats, aircraft
carriers, tugboats).

Rakesh