[OPE-L:6525] Re: Re: RE: * poll: who has advanced political economy since Marx? *

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 21:04:36 EST

I have to take issue with Gil here on a number of points:

I disagree that Sraffa's critique of marginalist theory can be dismissed
either because:

"the"un-marginalist" Sraffian "result" about the relation between wage and
profit rates arises in part from begging the question of how these prices
(and they are indeed prices, in addition to representing claims on total
product) are determined in their respective markets"

or because

"The standard Sraffian model presumes that Leontief (fixed-coefficient,
constant returns to scale) production conditions obtain universally.
Whether this condition reasonably describes actual capitalist economies is
a matter of debate, but in analytical terms it is extremely restrictive. In
particular, Leontief can be understood as the limiting case of a more
general constant elasticity of substitution production function, and in
every instance of this function *except* the limit as the elasticity
parameter approaches infinity, factors are substitutable at the margin, and
thus "marginalist" considerations would presumptively apply."

On the first point, Sraffa's objective was in part to show that a precursor
to the marginalist theory of income distribution--that the quantity of
capital was a measurable entity--was wrong. You can't have a marginal
productivity theory of income distribution--so  that income equals marginal
product--if there is no way in which the amount of the factor can be
measured independently of its reward. Sraffa doesn't so much beg the
question as show that the answer to that question can't be "marginal
productivity".

Secondly, though the Leontief IO matrix is a "restrictive assumption", it
is also the linear component of any more general nonlinear production
technology (it's just the first term [Jacobian] in a Taylor series
expansion). Since the linear component of any nonlinear system dominates
the nonlinear in the proximity of equilibrium, what applies to a Leontief
IO system will apply to any more general technology in the same region.
Since neoclassical economics is obsessed with equilibrium, the defence that
a more general production system applies in general is NO DEFENCE.

This is an elementary point from differential/difference equation
mathematics, but it is something that few economists appreciate. It also
leads to a result most Sraffians aren't aware of--that the equilibrium of a
Leontief production system with spot prices is unstable. This result was
derived back in the 1960s, but again most economists of all persuasions
don't seem to appreciate its import.

Cheers,
Steve