[OPE-L:6535] Re: Re: * poll: who has advanced political economy since Marx?

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@waitrose.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 07:20:11 EST

>OK, who goes next?
>
>In solidarity, Jerry
>

>> *  WHO ADVANCED OUR UNDERSTANDING OF
>>      CAPITALISM  SINCE MARX?
>> * and what were their contributions to that understanding that
>>    weren't already IN Marx's writings?
>> *  Also: what contributions to our understanding of that
>>     subject matter  concerned something  *other than* attempting
>>     to develop our understanding of how capitalism has
>>     changed and developed since Marx's time?

Sohn-Rethel, Alfred 1978 Intellectual and Manual Labour for value form

Uno gets a plus - for postponing the introduction of labour in the
exposition, and a minus for making abstract labour ahistorical and asocial

>> * Also: is there *any* major part of Marx's theory that the
>>    development of subsequent thought shows needs to be
>>    modified or rejected?

marx completely failed to grasp the ecological problematic. All the
relevant stuff attributes the problem to capital - he does not see the use
value side is itself an issue. So all the stuff in the Marx/green debate is
relevant. The implications for 'a society of abundance' and what
presupposes that is obvious.

Chris A

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England