[OPE-L:6557] Re: Re: RE: Re: * poll: who has advanced political econ om y since Marx? *

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 20:01:37 EST

Paul B writes in 6555:

>Just for a start ... i don't know what you've read,  you could try
>Lenin's  'On the so called Market question'... for an exposition
>(CW Vol1) , an application of the reproduction schemas in a crushing
>response to a schema constructed by a Narodnik who aimed at opposing
>the tsar and proving this was to be done in a political and social
>environment in which capitalism could not develop... the question
>remained only one of the peasantry.

But I think it's one thing to show that a clock can move its hands
without the external force of outside markets; it's another thing to
show that the clock comes to a grinding halt due to its own internal
mechanisms. I don't think Lenin ever worked out a theory of the
latter. Which of course is not to say that this is a good metaphor;
after all, the capitalist system never simply winds down or settles
down into stagnation or unemployment equilibrium.
Rakesh