[OPE-L:6575] Imperialism

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 11:13:15 EST

Re Paul C. 6574:

[...]

> ...and in the recent drive by the USA to
>establish military hegemony over central asia. It is also apparent
>in the partial re-colonisation of Sierra Leone by the UK.
>5. The level of capitalist development is much higher than a
>century ago, this limits the scope of potential imperialist development.
>The most significant factor here is that both China and India are
>now major economic and military powers rather than colonies or
>potential colonies. The scope of imperialism thus tends
>to be concentrated on Africa and on relatively small and
>weak countries in central asia and the middle east.

I'd add that the governments of Latin American and the Caribbean countries
are, in practice, the representation of the US colonial power and its
agents, the IMF and the World Bank. They, and a handful of corrupt local
politicians, take the decissions regarding any important matter. In this
regard, the only exception is Cuba. The recent events in Argentina may be
breaking this in a certain degree but it's early to say.

A.