[OPE-L:6609] Re: Mikhail Tugan-Baronovsky

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 22:37:49 EST

Alejandro Ramos <aramos@btl.net> said, on 02/17/02:

>It's certainly a paradox that being perhaps the most
>influential author for understanding the (endless) debates within Marxian
>Economics, you cannot find any modern edition of his works. The
>"transformaiton problem", the "Okishio theorem" and the "reproduction
>schemes debate" (i.e. Rosa Luxemburg) all of three come from T-B works.
>However, you have no integral translation of this yet into English!

Thanks for translating as much Tugan into English as you have, Alejandro!
In reading your translation of his 1901 edition, I was surprised at how
un-Marxist it is (Hilferding's opinion notwithstanding).

Luxemburg took on Tugan in her Chapter 23 of *Accumulation of Capital*.
Was she congratulated by Lenin or Kautsky or Hilferding or Bukharin?  No.
Did they try to deepen her critique?  No.  Did they try to build their own
deeper critique?  No.  Result: Tugan's ideas penetrate, Luxemburg's are
pushed aside.

Paul