[OPE-L:6618] Re: Re: Re: From Andrew Kliman

From: Paul Cockshott (paul@cockshott.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 04:45:22 EST

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, you wrote:

> I think we can best account for the role of science and technology by
> analyzing them in terms of use value and value rather than by
> building science and technology into reified technical conditions of
> production which are then somehow mysteriously themselves made the
> source of a maximum potential surplus conceived solely in physical or
> use value terms.

Surely analysing technology in terms of use value is exactly what
is brought out in input output analysis.

What is this about 'reified technical conditions of production'.
The technical conditions of production are in no need of
reification, since they are already very much res in themselves.
Railways, power plants, factories - you dont get much re-er
than that. There is nothing mysterious about them, they
are brute material facts which explain the difference between
the potential surplus of an industrialised and a non-industrialised
country.

World dominance rests on these brute facts.
--
Paul Cockshott, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
0141 330 3125  mobile:07946 476966