[OPE-L:6634] RE: Re: IWGVT mini-conference at the EEA Boston

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 11:26:03 EST

Hi, all.

Jerry asks if this is the same paper I presented last year.  It is.  The
explanation is a little convoluted. Alan Freeman mentioned to me, I guess in
the Spring of 2001, that some TSS folks were preparing a co-authored response
to my piece, which is to appear later this year in the RRPE.  Last Autumn I
asked Alan if any of that response was to be presented at this year's
Easterns, in which case I'd like to respond.  So the idea was that I would be
the discussant to various critiques of my critique of the TSS approach.
Somehow, the plan got turned on its head, with me presenting my argument
(again) and Andrew Kliman and Alan being the discussants (again). I've not
seen any TSS response aside from the notes that Andrew distributed last year,
and some notes that Alan posted at around the same time on the IWGVT website.

The main difference between last year's session and this year's is that the
entire session will be devoted to the one paper, so that there will be more
scope for audience discussion.  I've also had time to digest the comments that
Andrew made last year, and am mulling over Alan's notes.  I don't think they
require any major changes to my argument, but they should help me express my
objections more clearly. Since the paper is very long I will emphasize this
year points that I now recognize (partly thanks to the comments of Alan and
Andrew) as more salient. So even though similar ground will be covered, I hope
the discussion will be useful and interesting to people. Anyway, as I say, I
would have preferred being the discussant to formal presentations-critiques
from Andrew and Alan; but circumstances dictated a different configuration for
the session.

Regards,

Gary