[OPE-L:6669] Re: Most, Johann & Capital I

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@waitrose.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 20:00:51 EST

Dear Geert
I recall MEGA2 take this seriously enough to have republished it. I canot
recall the volume number, but there will be plenty of stuff about its
publication in the Apparat. However I also know a couple of letters where
Marx disparages the booklet and he forbade the use of his name. The work he
did was just to prevent the most egregious blunders. I have not seen the
English but your info maay be a little wrong. Draper has it published by
Weydemeyer in his journal dec '77 til March '78 and then it came out as a
pamphlet *Extracts from the Capital of Karl marx* , Hoboken, Sorge, n.d.
[Aug 1878].
Chris

>Dear comrades. Here is a request for information.
>
>I have a German booklet of 90 small pages which is an abbreviation of
>"Capital I" by Johann Most (a German "activist"). The text has been revised
>by Marx & Engels (my edition also shows what additions/revisions M&E made
>to the original).
>There seems to be an 1890 English translation of this; although it is
>possible that a new translation/edition came out after 1972. Has anybody
>seen this? If so could you give me the full bibliograhical details of
>this  English edition?
>All I have is this:
>
>Most, Johann (1876), "Kapital und Arbeit; `Das Kapital' in einer handlichen
>Zusammenfassung, Von Marx und Engels selbst revidiert und bearbeited
>"   [Capital and Labour; an abbreviation of `Capital', as revised by Marx
>and    Engels themselves] Chemnitz 1876; ed. H. M. Enzensberger, Frankfurt
>a.M., Suhrkamp 1972
>{this is the edition I have; it provides the following scarce information
>about English editions: 1st English edition, New York, Otto Weydemeyer
>1878; 3rd English edition, International Library No. 2, New York, John
>Mueller 1890. I would think this is the last one prior to 1972, since the
>editor says that the 1972 edition is checked against the 1890 edition.
>[there also exist an 1873 German edition, unrevised by Marx and Engels]
>
>(BTW, in the MEW there are comments by M&W about this booklet.)
>
>Regards,
>Geert

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England