[OPE-L:6706] Imperialism

From: Asfilho@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 02:06:49 EST

I agree with most of the "non-economic" aspects of imperialism raised in
recent posts. We can obviously find many such examples. The trouble with them
is that they do *not* lead to a theory of imperialism, but only to a
collection of more or less infuriating anecdotes.

In order to avoid the latter, we need a theory of international power
structures. And such a theory - with apologies to political scientists,
anthropologists and other social scientists - can *only* be an economic
theory. Unfortunately, we do not have such a theory. This is what I find
alarming. It is not surprising though - since there is no developed marxian
theory of the state or of trade, and marxian contributions to the theory of
finance are only in their infancy, we would have obvious difficulties
synthesizing them into a theory of imperialism.

alfredo.