[OPE-L:6735] Re: imperialism

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 12:28:06 EST

>**For example**: Ellen Meiksins Wood - if I understand her correctly
>- claims that one of the most important differences between
>old-style (colonial) imperialism and modern imperialism is that the
>former is based on non-economic forms of exploitation and
>compulsion, whereas the latter is based on economic forms of
>exploitation. This type of classification has obvious parallels with
>exploitation in capitalism vis-a-vis other modes of production. I
>think this is a *very valuable* insight, that has a lot to
>contribute to a theory of imperialism.
>
>alfredo.

Alfredo, what about rentier states, in particular the Gulf States,
and the US struggle to control the disbursement of rent, i.e. channel
it into arms purchases, global covert operations and T bill
purchases? Is this an economic or non economic form of exploitation?
Or is it exploitation, strictly speaking, at all?

Rakesh