[OPE-L:6755] change the world

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 00:52:07 EST

---------Forwarded message-------------
Sender: johnpholloway@compuserve.com
for <ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:01:56 -0600
Subject: Change the World
From: "John Holloway"

   Now that Simon has emerged from the depths (hello Simon!), I have
decided to follow suit.

   I shall not mention the unmentionable, which is very boring, but pass on
instead to something far more interesting. I have a book coming out in the
next few days which everyone on the list should (a) read avidly and
enthusiastically, (b) order immediately for all possible libraries and (c)
put as obligatory reading on all course lists, whatever the course (it is
relevant to all courses).

    The book is called Change the World without taking Power. The basic
argument is that the only way in which revolution can now be conceived is in
terms other than the taking of power and that this means that we must
develop a fresh understanding of all the categories of Marxist (or
revolutionary) thought. Since these include value, crisis and the state, the
argument strikes at many of the assumptions of the discussions on this list
- and should, I hope, help to dissipate the gloom that occasionally seems to
hang over the list.

     The book is published by Pluto and the back cover says:

    Change the World Without Taking Power

 The various political demonstrations since Seattle have crystallised a new
trend in left-wing politics. Popular support across the world for the
Zapatista uprising and the enthusiasm which it has inspired has led to new
types of protest movement that ground their actions on both Marxism and
Anarchism. These movements are fighting for radical social change in terms
that have nothing to do with the taking of state power. This is in clear
opposition to the traditional Marxist theory of revolution which centres on
taking state power. In this book, John Holloway asks how we can reformulate
our understanding of revolution as the struggle against power, not for
power.

After a century of failed attempts by revolutionary and reformist movements
to bring about radical social change, the concept of revolution itself is in
crisis. Holloway opens up the theoretical debate, reposing some of the basic
concepts of Marxism in a critical development of the subversive Marxist
tradition represented by Adorno, Bloch and Lukacs, amongst others, and
grounded in a rethinking of Marx¹s concept of Ofetishisation¹-- how doing is
transformed into being. The struggle for radical change, Holloway argues,
far from being marginalised, is becoming more and more embedded in our
everyday lives. Revolution today must be understood as a question, not as an
answer.

    The contents are as follows:

     1. The Scream
     2. Beyond the State?
     3. Beyond Power?
     4. Fetishism - The Tragic Dilemma
     5. Fetishism and Fetishisation
     6. Anti-Fetishism and Criticism
     7. The Tradition of Scientific Marxism
     8. The Critical-Revolutionary Subject
     9. The Material Reality of Anti-Power
     10. The Material Reality of Anti-Power and the Crisis of Capital
     11. Revolution?

     Need I add that it's wonderful?

     Love to all,

     John