[OPE-L:6763] labor aristocracy and imperialism

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 07:24:46 EST

In a word search under "labor aristocracy" (exact phrase)
I came up with an unexpected essay by no less an
authority than Paul Krugman  strikingly and unabashedly
entitled "In praise of cheap labor: bad jobs at bad wages are
better than no jobs at all":

http://web.mit.edu/krugman/www/smokey.html

I guess there are at least some bourgeois economists
then who accept the idea of a labor aristocracy having
a relation to "globalization".  There isn't much
mystification here -- indeed, the class politics are
strikingly obvious (reminiscent of  the by-gone Reagan
and Thatcher years).

In solidarity, Jerry