[OPE-L:6818] bonded lablour and surplus value

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 23:22:02 EST

Re Rakesh's [6817]:

> We had some argument about whether workers who are not formally free
> wage laborers could still produce surplus value--I tended to find the
> old arguments of Jairus Banaji persuasive.  I would consider these
> workers  to be clearly proletarians productive of surplus value.

The continued persistence of bonded labour was never in doubt in
our previous exchange.  For more information on that subject,  see
Tom Brass _Toward a political economy of unfree labour: case
studies and debates_  (Library of Peasant Studies No. 16, Frank Cass
Publishers).   Brass's case studies include examinations of bonded labour
in eastern Peru (and the "enganche system"), northwest India, and northeast
India.  He also attempts a critical evaluation of the role of unfree labour
in both neoclassical and Marxian theories.  However -- in reply to Rakesh
-- the continued existence of unfree labour for millions of people globally
does not of and in itself speak to the question of whether they are
productive of surplus value.

In solidarity, Jerry