[OPE-L:6829] Re: Re: Cyrus Bina

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 13:29:25 EST

re Paulo's 6828

>Hi Cyrus, welcome to the Ope-l. The title of the book you co-edited interests
>me. Would you please send us the table of contents, even if briefly stated.
>Thank you,
>Paulo
>
>P.S. I have been thinking about how a marxian book on labor economics would
>look like and came to the following points
>
>I. Inclusion
>1. exploitation
>2. forms of wages and exploitation

Paulo,
while I2a may include analysis of time vs piece wages and I2b wages
vs. salaries, would I2c include analysis of formally free and
formally unfree forms of *capitalist* exploitation? What did you make
of the story that I downloaded in OPE-L 6817? I have had some offlist
discussion with Patrick Mason about this, and I am trying to
encourage him to return.

Have you reviewed Ingrid H Rima Labor Markets in a Global Economy
(Armonk, NY: ME Sharpe, 1996)?

>II. Exclusion
>3. technological change and exclusion (industrial reserve army)

Chris Freeman wrote an interesting book on technological
unemployment. I learned a great deal from this forgotten classic,
Alexander Gourvitch, Survey of Economic Theory on Technological
Change and Employment, New York: Augustus Kelley, 1966 [1940].

>4. exclusion and self-employment
>5. historicam transformation in the composition of the resenve army

One interesting aspect here is border politics. As workers have been
laid off in the US, they have found themselves returning back to
Latin American, Mexico in particular.

Another interesting aspect would be the export of workers. Do
exporting countries really relieve unemployment and collect hard
currency through the export of workers? If there is a net loss, then
would do they allow it? Can they stop it?

>IV. labor process and forms of control
>6. technological change, labor process and forms of control over labor

Interesting that Rima has little to say about this, but I am sure
Tony Smith does.

>V. Differentiation
>7. competition and wage differentials
>8. wage differentials and different rates of exploitation
>
>I would like to hear from our colleagues what they think would compose a table
>of contents of a book on labor economics.
>Paulo

All the best, Rakesh