[OPE-L:6838] Re: surplus value, commercial workers and merchant capital

From: Ian.Hunt@flinders.edu.au
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 21:35:17 EST

Dear Jerry,
I agree that Marx's view of commercial profit within the capitalist mode of
production is that it is a redistribution of surplus value created
elsewhere: however, Marx accepts that commercial profit of a pre-capitalist
kind can still be earned to the extent that 'backward conditions' can
prevail in a capitalist system.

I am, myself, unsure of whether Marx's 'redistribution of surplus value'
will ultimately hold water: this is partly because the model of value as
some sort of stuff that seems implicit in it seems to me to be wrong in
principle, as 'form' theorists emphasise.This is not to say I have an
alternative position, I just haven't worked it through,
Cheers,
Ian