[OPE-L:6841] formally unfree labour

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 23:16:38 EST

re Paulo's 6833

>the new experiences I think could show the importance of the concepts we
>have at hand for the analysis of new phenomena.

thank you for doing so.

>About the formally unfree labor. Are there slaves in the USA? I think not.

we have bracero and neo bracero programmes that do seem to me to
constrain the formal freedom of workers.

>At least
>not on sacale we have here, hidden in the dark of forest, faraway
>and inaccessible
>places, sometimes not even so inaccessible.

yes.

>That suggets a rupture between advanced
>capitalism and backward regions and this rupture is related to the
>absolute degree
>of misery, isolation and corruption (that is the maintenance of the
>police on the
>side of the exploreres), as the article shown in OPE-l made us
>believe. If so, then
>we can say that whenever those conditions exist or are created there
>returns the
>possibility of unfree forms of exploitation.

yes it is the specification of those conditions  that interest Jan
Breman, Tom Brass, Marcel van den Linden, Jairus Banaji and many
others. We do not see a resort to formally unfree labor relations
only in labor short, open frontier conditions--it seems.

>  there is much more to develop about
>the circunstances surrounding slave labor nowadays. One of them,
>which is related
>to the issue of isolation is the relative absence of a labor market
>in the region.
>The existence of such a labor market would on its own function as a
>check on slave
>labor for it would entail free workers mobility and therefore the
>availability of
>information.

All the best, Rakesh