[OPE-L:6847] Re: Re: Re: surplus value, commercial workers and merchant capital (fwd)

From: Ian Hunt (Ian.Hunt@flinders.edu.au)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 23:00:46 EST

Rakesh,
I agree that some slave owners (especially the slave owners of the new
world) have appropriated surplus value (this was said in one of the opening
comments of this thread, I think), my point was only that generally in the
ancient world, for example, they did not, and this does, as Jerry says,
make it important to rcognise other ways of appropriating surplus labour
than appropriating surplus value, which itself can take various forms apart
from the capitalist one,
cheers,
Ian

>re 6842

Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Director, Centre for Applied Philosophy,
Philosophy Dept, School of Humanities,
Flinders University of SA,
Humanities Building,
Bedford Park, SA, 5042,