[OPE-L:6857] surplus value, commercial workers and merchant capital

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 12:03:37 EST

Jerry replied to me in 6854:

>Re Rakesh's [6853]:
>
>>  Perhaps you could give a brief account of the reasoning behind
>>  your negative dismissal?
>
>I have no intention of re-visiting that question at this time with
>you for two reasons: 1) we already discussed it at length some time
>ago;

Jerry, I think you will find that your argument shifted in the course
of our previous discussion.

>  2) since you have just recently referred (in 6820) to positions
>such as mine as "quasi-Marxist ideas", why should I?

I did not mean this personally. You referred to Brass' critique of
Marxian conceptions of unfree labor. I wanted to clarify that Brass
considers himself a Marxist (I have read a few of pieces in the
Journal of Peasant Studies over the years) so he was critiquing what
he thinks are quasi Marxist dismissals of the proletarian status of
some formally unfree workers. In fact Brass would consider some of
your dismissals quasi Marxist, not Marxian. That does not mean he is
right--or I am right. It depends on your reasons for this dismissal.

All the best, Rakesh