[OPE-L:6863] Marx and eurocentrism again

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 19:54:20 EST

Jerry,

One other thing about this "eurocentrism" issue. It occurred to me that the
 real question here is whether such "eurocentrism" as Marx may have had (and
 I suggested he was to a degree eurocentric) invalidates his approach to
 understanding world history, or strongly undermines it (and if so, in what
 way). It would appear (I am happy to be corrected on this) that Andre
 Gunder Frank claims that Marx's "eurocentrism" fatally undermines his
 conception of history, in which case we need a better approach than
 historical materialism (or an improved version of historical materialism)
 in order to understand it. Of course, often a social theory shatters when
 confronted with the hard empirical data, but at issue here with whether
 Marx's approach as such is invalidated by what we now know about world
history.

 Regards

 Jurriaan